Better Books with LaTeX
This book is 95% complete
About the Book
Bundled with this book is a template that will give you a head start in your publishing process. In fact, this very book was produced with the same template. You can check out the template here.
Still unsure whether this book is for you?
- Are you a first-time author with a complete manuscript that you are ready to publish?
- Or do you write novels in Word but now want to write a non-fiction book?
- Perhaps you are a professional editor seeking to expand your services from merely editing Word files to helping to release books online?
- Are you spending a lot of time indexing or managing bibliographical references?
- You may already be a LaTeX expert who wants to publish your work as an e-book. Are you planning a series and need to reuse text blocks? Are you looking for ways to share your work and collaborate with others? Are you looking for support to help you with diagrams and graphics?
Besides providing you with a free, ready-to-use template (for the new Overleaf platform) to publish your next book, Better Books with LaTeX can teach you:
- Advantages of using LaTeX instead of Word.
- The basics of LaTeX to get you started and to make small adjustments to the template included with this book.
- Special requirements for final polishing (images, blank spaces, page breaks, etc.) to make a professional-looking book / e-book.
And how to:
- Convert a LaTeX document into a Kindle e-book in order to sell it on Amazon or Google.
- Structure your book (foreword, preface, publisher information, table of contents, glossary, ...) within a LaTeX project.
- Better manage bibliographical references in order to save time and reduce mistakes.
- Better manage indexes in order to save time during index creation and after page changes.
- Re-use glossary items and other text blocks to save time when writing a series.
- Create a book cover, add LaTeX graphics, and work with a designer to help you create an appealing book that sells.
1 Comparison of Word and LaTeX
2 Generate Your First E-book
2.1 LaTeX Support
2.2 Copy the Template
2.3 Create a PDF
2.4 Create HTML Output
2.5 Convert HTML to Kindle
3 Filling the Template
3.1 Front Matter
3.2 Main Matter
3.3 Back Matter
4 LaTeX Basics
4.1 Basic Formatting
4.3 Verbatim Text
4.4 Chapters and Sections
4.8 TikZ Graphics
5 Bibliography and Citations
5.1 Getting Bibliographical Information
6 Index Creation
6.1 Indexing in Word
6.2 Indexing in LaTeX
7 E-Book / PDF Specific Content
7.1 Switching from XeLaTeX to pdfLaTeX
8 Template Management
8.1 Template Library Files
8.1.1 Packages File
8.1.2 Language Selector
8.1.4 Book Format
8.1.6 Chapter Design
8.1.7 Header and Footer
8.1.8 TikZ Initialization
8.1.9 Table of Contents
8.2 Core Files
9 Polishing for Print
9.1 Clean up Empty Space
9.2 Left Hand / Right Hand Pages
9.3 Clean Up Graphics
10 Polishing for E-book Release
10.1 Preparing Images for E-books
11 Publishing on Amazon KDP
11.1 E-book Publishing
11.2 Paperback Publishing
12 How to Create Cover Graphics
12.1 Download KDP Template
12.2 Front Cover Structure
12.3 Back Cover Structure
12.4 Spine Considerations
12.5 Cover Design
13 Publishing on Google Play
13.1 Creating EPUB Files for Google Play
13.3 Registering at Google Play
13.4 Managing Your Book Library
14 Writing a Series
Appendix: TeX4ht Configuration
1 HTML Output Formatting
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.