A Rack of Reviews
A Rack of Reviews
About the Book
A Rack of Reviews summarizes the author's studies over a number of years in a variety of academic categories. There are eviews on linguistics, anthropology, translation, explorations (particularly of PNG), missions, orality (with an additional annotated bibliography on the subject), philosophy, theology, American culture and some biographies and essays as well.
1. Linguistics and Language
- 1.1 Chafe on Discourse
- 1.2 Fauconnier and Turner on Conceptual Blending
- 1.3 Lakoff on Women, Fire and Dangerous Things
- 1.4 Turner on The Artful Mind
- 1.5 Huddleston and Pullman on English Grammar
- 1.6 Köveces on Metaphor
- 2.1 Chatterton on Papua
- 2.2 Holmes on “Primitive New Guinea”
- 2.3 Beaver on Unexplored New Guinea
- 2.4 Connolly and Anderson on First Contact (New Guinea Highlands)
- 2.5 Mead on Cultural Patterns
- 2.6 Endo on Silence
- 3.1 Esolen on Children’s Imagination
- 3.2 Lamb on The Art and Craft of Storytelling
- 3.3 Wasik on How Stories Live and Die
- 3.4 Haven on Story Proof
- 3.5 Denning on Springboard Stories
4. Anthropology and Cross Cultural Studies
- 4.1 Hiebert on Worldviews
- 4.2 Hughes on American Myths
- 4.3 Kraybill on the Renegade Amish
- 4.4 Pilch on Healing in the New Testament
- 4.5 Twiss on Rescuing the Gospel
5. Biography and Autobiography
- 5.1 Lynip on Pittman
- 5.2 Sanneh on Summoned From the Margin
- 5.3 Dreher on Dante
- 5.4 Pinsky on A Jew among the Evangelicals
- 5.5 Franklin on Moving into Translation
6. Biblical Culture and Themes
- 6.1 Carson on Christ and Culture
- 6.2 Crouch on Culture Making
- 6.3 T.S. Eliot on Christianity and Culture
- 6.4 Ehrman on the New Testament Canon
- 6.5 Jenkins on Laying Down the Sword
- 6.6 Ryken on How to Read the Bible
- 6.7 McKnight on Reading the Bible (The Blue Parakeet)
7. American Culture and Themes
- 7.1 Abramson and Haskell on Appalachia
- 7.2 Gawande on Being Mortal
- 7.3 Gay on Dialogue, Catalogue & Monologue
- 7.4 Nichols on Jesus Made in America
- 7.5 Prothero on Religious Literacy
8. Missions and Missiology
- 8.1 Lowney on Loyola
- 8.2 Prior on Vanuatu
- 8.3 Walls on Cross-Culture in Christian History
- 8.4 Walls on The Missionary Movement
- 8.5 David Brainerd
- 8.6 Sheard on An Orality Primer for Missionaries
- 9.1 Brunn on Bible Versions
- 9.2 Pike on Bible Translation
- 9.3 Hoffman on Mistranslations
- 9.4 C.S. Lewis on Modern Translations
- 9.5 Nida and Louw on Greek Semantic Domain Lexicon
10. Philosophy and Theology
- 10.1 Liethart on Postmoderns and Solomon
- 10.2 Malesic on Secret Faith
- 10.3 Newgigin on the Gospel in a Pluralistic Society
- 10.4 Ross on the Book of Job
- 10.5 Guinness on Christian Persuasion
- 10.6 Rosner on The Consolations of Theology
- 10.7 Bell and Wittmer on Hell
- 10.8 Chan and Sprinkle on Hell
- 11. Storytelling Annotated Bibliography
- 12. Published Reviews
This book is published on Leanpub by Pike Center
Pike Center for Integrative Scholarship is an initiative of SIL International that builds capacity for language development through scholarship. SIL works alongside ethnolinguistic communities as they discover how language development addresses the challenging areas of their daily lives—social, cultural, political, economic and spiritual.
One of Pike Center’s strategies for building capacity is to grow the needed bodies of knowledge through its Agile Publishing program. We are using this lean publishing platform to give our affiliated scholars a platform for developing and refining new contributions to growing bodies of knowledge that support the language development movement. Many of our titles are still in a preliminary stage of development. Others are finished but have such a narrow audience that we have not elected to turn them into print books. Still others have reached the maturity of becoming a print book; in such cases, this is indicated by a link on the landing page for the book.
All of the revenues generated through sales on this site are directed to the Pike Center to support the on-going research activities of its affiliated scholars. Naming a higher price when you purchase one of our books is a way of contributing to this cause. Or you may go to the Pike Center website to make a donation that will receive a tax-deductible receipt.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Tame your Work FlowSteve Tendon and Daniel Doiron
Do you need a high performance enterprise governance approach improving management, execution and delivery while dealing with multiple projects/products, events, stakeholders and teams? Giving you better bottom line results, faster time to market, less work, better predictability, happier employees, and delighted clients? Then learn about TameFlow!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Windows 10 System Programming, Part 1Pavel Yosifovich
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
General Systems Thinker Bundle
5 BooksThe General Systems Thinker Bundle is just that: a bundle of five books to advance the reader one giant step toward improved thinking, based on General Systems principles. Four of the books are the complete General Systems Series. The fifth is fictional piece which shows some general systems thinkers in action. It's a mystery in which a group of...
Experiential Learning Bundle
4 BooksThis bundle provides all four volumes of the popular Experiential Learning Series at a savings of $20 over the price if purchased separately.
2 BooksAfter getting up and running with Ansible in Jeff Geerling's Ansible for DevOps, strengthen your skills managing tens to thousands of instances and services in Amazon's AWS cloud with Yan Kurniawan's Ansible for AWS.