Akka HTTP RESTful APIs
Akka HTTP RESTful APIs
Building Reactive RESTful APIs with Scala and Akka
About the Book
If you are wondering why Scala or why Akka HTTP... Well, there is a rising need for concurrent and distributed applications, which is why frameworks like Akka and languages like Scala are gaining momentum right now, and they fulfill those needs with little extra effort.
In this book we will build a RESTful API for a simple bookstore and learn in the way:
- How to set up database migrations using Flyway.
- Build our own directives and using them in the routing DSL.
- Authenticate users using JSON Web Tokens (JWT).
- Test our services using ScalaTest.
- Build a UI for searching books with Scalatags.
- Connecting to a currency API to allow the user to switch currencies when the books are displayed.
- All by using a Test-driven development (TDD) approach.
Sounds like a lot, right? Not really, we take an incremental approach, meaning that each chapter deals with different topics that we then build on in the next chapters to finally reach our goal, which is for you to be proficient in Akka HTTP.
See you inside. Cheers!
Table of Contents
- What Should I Know?
- What Are We Going to Build?
- What Are We Going to Use?
- Creating Our Bookstore Project
- Adding Our Project Dependencies
- Setting Up Postgres for Development
- Project Configuration
- Setting Up Flyway for Database Migrations
- Database Access & Slick Setup
- Adding Our First Route
- Creating Our Book Migration & Model
- Implementing Our Book Repository
- Adding Book Searches to Our Endpoint
- Improving and Understanding our Book Search
- Working with Our Books Controller
- Implementing the Web Server
- Wrapping Up!
- User Migration and Model
- User Repository
- Password Hashing
- User Endpoint
- Next Steps
- Auth Repository
- Token Service
- Auth Controller
- Auth Directives
- Exposing the Missing Controllers
Book Search UI
- Adding a Price Attribute
- Hello, World!
- Filter Form UI
- Fetching and Applying Currency Rates
- Error Handling & Improvements
- Database Migration
- Tie Everything Together
Deploying Our Application
- Coming Soon!
- Additional Resources
- See you around!
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them