50+ mistakes of my software testing career
50+ mistakes of my software testing career
We learn a lot from our mistakes compared to our success. Do we have a list of the mistakes we have made so far? Are you sure that you are not repeating the mistakes? Think about it...
About the Book
An attempt to highlight the multiple mistakes I did as part of my software testing career so far. Twelve years is a reasonable sample size if you include the experiences of changing multiple jobs across domains, attending different workshops and conferences, co-founding a worldwide community for testers, attempting multiple initiatives and finally taking up this challenge of writing this book - Ajay Balamurugadas
- L1: Trust is a double-edged sword
- L2: Wasted time on test data generation
- L3: Did not set expectations
- L4: Believed the developer - unmasked password
- L5: Surprise alerts at last minute
- L6: Who tested the main use case?
- L7: Proxy setup - Are you sure?
L8: When the unimportant became important
- L9: Typecast as a UI tester
L10: When interests don’t match
- L11: Interests matched and still…
L12: What happened when I shot down an idea
- L13: Another perspective and I rebelled
- L14: Intermittent issues and their investigation
- L15: Email Etiquettes
- L16: How well do we use the opportunities?
- L17: Inconsistency heuristic at work
L18: Me and my overconfidence
- L19: Release without my approval?
L20: Heuristic vs Oracle
- L21: All it took was one remark
L22: Jack of multiple topics, master of none
- L23: Customer facing feature - did not test
- L24: Everyone is on leave
L25: Silly mistakes - huge impact
- L26: Missed NLQ
L27: Stubborn towards automation and programming
- L28: Lied to do a course
- L29: Dropped ownership mid way
- L30: It came down to 5000 INR
L31: I am your mentor :)
- L32: Let us stop testing
L33: One man army
- L34: Touch me not - tell me not
- L35: My way or the highway
L36: Health? After testing
- L37: Last minute pressure
L38: Missed backups
- L39: If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
L40: Gained the nickname - Spy
- L41: Blind belief - no own research
L42: Under utilised the learning opportunities
- L43: Narrow vision - missed understanding the business
L44: Did not focus on money
- L45: When the cup overflowed
L46: Burned bridges
- L47: Organize your portfolio
L48: Was I passing my work?
- L49: Working to impress someone
L50: No career planning
- L51: Some more mistakes
- Had a solution to a burning problem at the office. It was just in my mind. Someone else acted on it, implemented and got the name
- Lost the source code/originals for the books/presentations I did. When I wanted to update the original, create the next version - all I had were the pdf instead of the .doc or .pptx
- Every Zappers bug hunting contest - I would promise myself to complete reading the 400 common software errors by Dr. Cem Kaner. For a long time, I did not complete that.
- This has the list of mistakes I had noted down in my draft book - "50+ mistakes testers should avoid"
- How do I feel after these mistakes?
- Appendix I - List of mistakes
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.